Cell phones are a nearly inescapable part of modern society. All the information we could need is available at a moment’s notice, and the details of our lives are uploaded to the cloud. Many jobs require you to use a cell phone, so even if you can avoid having one for personal reasons, the odds are good that you have to use one at some point.
All that cell phone usage may come at a price, however. It turns out that cell phones emit a form of EMF radiation that has been linked to numerous health conditions. Furthermore, the long-term effects of exposure haven’t been studied, so it’s possible there are health consequences that won’t be revealed for years to come.
As tempting as it may be to swear off all cell phones, that’s not a realistic solution for many Americans. We rely on our phones to keep track of our schedules, our finances, and even our health. To exist in society without one is unthinkable for many.
Fortunately, even though you may not be able to avoid cell phones altogether, there are things you can do to limit your exposure to their radiation.
Cell Phone Radiation and Why It’s Harmful
Cell phone radiation is a form of electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation. It is especially hazardous to humans because it comes at us from all directions. We are surrounded by cell phone towers and by cell phones being used nearly everywhere we go. We even carry them on our bodies.
In November 2018, the federal Department of Health and Human Services National Toxicology Program announced the results of a study that concluded that there was “clear evidence” that cell phone radiation (2G and 3G in the study) caused DNA damage and cancer in mice.
Other studies have examined the effects of cell phone radiation, as well. A 2011 Swedish study, for example, looked at instances of malignant brain tumors compared to cell phone usage trends. Researchers found a statistically significant correlation between usage and malignant brain tumors, a risk that was particularly increased if the subject first used a cell phone prior to the age of 20.
There are two primary types of EMF radiation emitted by cell phones: ELF-EMF and RF-EMF radiation. RF-EMF is emitted by many wireless communications devices, and it radiates at a much higher frequency than ELFs. RF-EMF radiation has been linked to breast cancer, sperm damage and male infertility, and even gliomas, the deadliest of brain tumors. ELF-EMF radiation is emitted by electricity and has been linked to childhood leukemia.
How To Protect Yourself
Unless you work a job where you’re on call 24 hours a day, you may want to consider turning your cell phone off at night. If you can’t stand the thought of going off-grid for a few hours, or if you use your cell phone as an alarm clock, at least keep it across the room at night. Strive for a minimum of six feet away from your bed to help minimize your absorption of EMF radiation.
Another step to take is to go into airplane mode whenever possible. By turning off your data and WiFi, you will be lowering your phone’s overall EMF output. Most games, music, and movies can be easily downloaded onto your device so you don’t require a constant internet connection. If you don’t need to be connected to data, turn it off. The sending and receiving of data signals generate RF-EMF.
Of course, these measures will not protect you when you are actually using your phone. The best solution would be to not use a cell phone at all. But that’s no longer feasible for most of us. Those work emails won’t answer themselves, and you can’t miss your weekly call with mom.
So, what does that mean for those of us who feel we can’t live without our cell phones?
It means we need to protect ourselves.
The next best thing is to get an EMF-reducing cell phone case.
How They Work
The most common type of EMF-shielding cell phone case is made of a fine mesh fabric that covers the screen side of your phone. You speak and listen through this fabric, which acts as a barrier between your face and the radiation your phone emits. In well-made cases, this causes minimal to no reduction in sound quality.
The mesh also acts as a barrier for those who carry their phones in pockets or in holsters on their belts. For effective EMF reduction, be sure to keep the protective side closest to your body.
The other side has no EMF protection so the signal will come through and you can still use your phone.
What To Look For
There are a lot of trendy products out there that claim to offer EMF protection for cell phones and other electronics. Look for brands that show evidence on their web sites that their products have been independently lab tested. You should find products that offer a minimum of 80% protection from EMF exposure. It’s also worthwhile to look for consumer reviews of your product. You can even test a case yourself with the use of an EMF meter using a procedure we will detail below.
You should also be on the lookout for poorly designed cases that interfere with call quality and cell reception. If the case covers both sides of the phone, make sure that the exterior (non-face facing,) side of the phone is not covered by EMF-resistant materials. These materials can cause problems with reception and cause calls to cut in and out.
EMF-Blocking Cell Phone Case Options
All of the cases listed below (with the exception of the RadiArmor phone sleeve) are wallet cases with credit card slots. These cases will protect you in more ways than one, as they also provide radiofrequency identification (RFID) protection. RFID protection prevents credit card hacking in public spaces. This is something that has become increasingly more common in recent years, as credit cards have switched to chip technology.
All cases except the RadiArmor sleeve also have kickstand functionality.
- DefenderShield EMF radiation case: This is the priciest model on the list, but it is extensively lab tested and FCC certified. This company has done its research. The manufacturer says it blocks “virtually 100% of EMF.” DefenderShield brands itself as an industry leader in EMF protection and they created a stylish case, as well. Reviewers liked the overall quality of the wallet sleeve, and some EMF-sensitive individuals even noted they felt better when using the case on their phone.
- SafeSleeve: This case offers 99% protection from RF-EMF and 92% protection from ELF-EMF, according to the manufacturer. It’s expensive than DefenderShield’s case and and is protective, attractive and humane, being made from vegan leather. This case is impact resistant, as well, so you aren’t sacrificing durability, either.
- Sanxir Anti-Radiation Case: The manufacturer says this case uses double-shielded technology that blocks 98% of EMF radiation. Reviewers love its overall look and feel. Sanxir’s Anti-Radiation Case is also made from vegan leather, and it’s available in a variety of colors.
- WaveWall: The manufacturer says this case blocks 87% of EMF. This model stands out because it comes in a vertical flip version in addition to the more familiar horizontal flip version. WaveWall even has a universal version that will fit nearly any phone. Like other products on this list, these cases are vegan-friendly. It also comes with a 24-month durability guarantee, so this case could easily last the entire life of your phone.
- RadiArmor Anti-Radiation Case: This case appears to be available only for iPhones at the time of this writing. The manufacturer says it blocks 99% of EMF radiation and it’s a little less expensive than the products mentioned so far. RadiArmor’s case is designed to block radiation without interfering with cell signal or call quality. Better yet, reviewers were pleased with the case’s results when tested with an EMF meter. This is another vegan-friendly case, and it is available in red, slate, or teal.
- RadiArmor Phone Sleeve: This is a different type of protective case. It’s actually a neoprene sleeve that you slip your phone into and wear as a holster on a belt. It has a Velcro closure, and one size fits most phones. The manufacturer says it uses a proprietary metallic fabric and blocks between 91% and 99% of EMF radiation. It’s also the least expensive case on this list. RadiArmor’s sleeve receives generally positive reviews, with reviewers noting that it does hold up when tested by an EMF meter. Some also felt that it was a bit on the fragile side, however, so this may be best for those who handle their phone delicately. Still, if you’re on a budget and looking for something to help protect you from EMF radiation, this case will do the job.
Testing Your Case
The sad truth is, you can’t always trust a product you find on the internet. The list of cases we’ve provided includes only those that are highly reviewed, but there are many more available on the market. If you decide to try a different case, the best way to achieve true peace of mind— and protection— is to measure EMF output yourself. To do this, you will first need an EMF meter.
There are many great meters available online today. One we usually recommend is the Trifield TF2 EMF Meter, which can detect all three forms of problematic EMF radiation, including electric and magnetic frequencies. Some cheaper models can only detect RF-frequencies, so be sure to find one that includes the ELF range.
Once you have your meter and case in hand, outfit your cell phone with the case. Turn the EMF meter on, and prepare it to take a reading. Hold the meter up to the protective mesh of the case and record your results. You can repeat the reading without the case on to get a benchmark, as well. Ideally, the case-on reading should be significantly lower than the reading without the case. As most manufacturers advertise their product as blocking over 90% of EMF radiation, you should expect a reading that is at least 90% lower than your benchmark.
Of course, the primary drawback to this method is you’ve already purchased the case. That’s why it’s important to check the retailer’s return policy and make sure you are able to send it back if you’re unsatisfied. Better yet, stick with one of the trusted products on our list.
Although researchers are continuing to study the harmful effects of cell phone radiation, it’s becoming increasingly clear that EMF protection makes sense. There are things you could and should do to guard yourself against EMF radiation. Keeping your phone away from your bed, turning it in airplane mode whenever possible, and even shutting it off from time to time are all great steps toward lowering your overall EMF exposure.
In addition to lifestyle changes, an EMF-proof case is another great tool in your arsenal. If you’re concerned about exposure to EMF radiation from your cell phone, an EMF-proof case is a must-have purchase. We scoured the internet to find some of the best cases out there and compiled them in one convenient list. The options recommended here all offer at least 87% EMF protection, and many are available for under $100.
If you’d rather find your own case, an EMF meter is a great way to verify that it does what it promises. If your case is advertising 99% EMF protection, measure the output yourself to ensure that you’re getting what you paid for. Just make sure you have an EMF meter that is capable of recording both ELF and RF-EMF.
Cell phones aren’t going anywhere. We will be using them for the foreseeable future, so it’s important to safeguard yourself against their potentially harmful effects. Common sense lifestyle modifications and the purchase of an EMF resistant cell phone case can go a long way. Your health is worth it.