According to the International Telecommunications Union, 95% of the entire world’s population live in an area…
*We may earn a commission for purchases made using our links. Please see our disclosure to learn more.
If you have an infant at home or on the way, you probably want to do everything you can to keep them safe. And while baby monitors, cell phones, and other devices may seem like they make that job easier, they may also be exposing your little one to dangerous amounts of EMF radiation.
Fortunately, knowledge is power and there are things you can do to minimize the impact on your child’s health. In this guide, we’re going to take a look at some of the research surrounding infants and EMF radiation. We’ll also discuss acceptable amounts of EMF exposure, and what you can do to keep your baby safe.
Babies and EMF radiation
Children and infants are even more susceptible to the harmful effects of EMF radiation than adults. One theory for this is that their thinner skulls provide their brains with less protection. While infants have not been the subject of many studies, there is some evidence to indicate that they may have a higher risk of developing conditions such as leukemia when exposed to ELF and RF-EMF radiation.
One 2003 study looked at pregnant women who were exposed to RF-EMF radiation from cell phones. This prenatal exposure was found to increase the risk of developing leukemia by age nine. Other problems such as hyperactivity and difficulty regulating emotions were also tied to prenatal EMF exposure.
Another study examined childhood leukemia and central nervous system cancer cases in California. Scientists charted the location of each child’s birth address and its distance away from the nearest power line. They found a slight increase in childhood leukemia cases amongst those living closest (within 50 meters) of a high-voltage power line. The same correlation was not found for central nervous system cancer, indicating that exposure to high amounts of ELF-EMF radiation in infancy could increase the risk of developing leukemia later in childhood.
Furthermore, there is a large body of evidence to suggest that EMF radiation exposure may be associated with a number of health conditions, from cancer to impaired brain activity. If these conditions were noted in adults, and infants are even more susceptible, it stands to reason that they would be even more affected.
Acceptable EMF radiation limits
The reality is there may be no acceptable amount of EMF radiation exposure for an infant. Their vulnerability to EMFs puts them in a high-risk category. If you have a little one at home, the goal should be to reduce the level of their exposure as much as possible.
In the United States, there aren’t many regulations surrounding EMF in general, much less restrictions geared towards protecting babies. Cell phone manufacturers must limit their Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) level to 1.6 W/kg, but that deals with a very small portion of the EMF radiation produced by devices overall, and it does not differentiate between infants and adults. Government regulatory bodies have not caught up to the research when it comes to regulating EMF exposure.
Protecting your baby
- Test your home’s levels. One of the first steps to take is to test your home’s EMF levels. This can be done with an EMF meter, such as the TriField TF2. If you need help selecting a meter, see The Best EMF Meters For Any Budget.
Once you have a meter, take several readings in each room of your home. Take special care to check your baby’s room near their crib, and anywhere else that they spend time. These readings will give you an idea of what work needs to be done — if the reading is especially high near the crib, for example, you may need to remove the source of radiation, or move the crib.
- Consider a protective baby blanket. The body repairs itself during sleep, and one thing you can do to reduce your infant’s exposure during that important time is to invest in a good protective baby blanket. This will help safeguard your baby from EMF radiation surrounding their crib or nap area. There are several options out there. One great baby-sized blanket comes from Shield Your Body (SYB). SYB’s baby blanket is 99% effective at blocking frequencies from 10KHz to 2GHz. For more on EMF blankets, see our guide to the Top 10 EMF Protection Blankets.
- Use a protective hat when going outside or even around the house. If you’ve got high EMF levels in your home, or you’re going outside, consider getting your little one a protective cap. SYB has you covered here, too, with their silver-lined baby beanie. The beanie is ideal because not only is it soft and comfortable for your little one, but it shields their skull from harmful radiation.
- Take steps to reduce your whole home’s EMF levels. While it can take a bit of work, reducing your home’s EMF levels is a must-do for anyone with a baby. Your whole family will benefit from actions such as switching to wired internet from WiFi, installing a smart meter cover, and reducing Bluetooth usage. For more tips on how to reduce your home’s levels, check out The Definitive Guide to Whole House EMF Protection.
- Never let your baby play with your cell phone or another EMF-producing electronic device. Cell phones, laptops, smart TVs — these devices all emit large amounts of EMF radiation. Allowing your little one to play with your cell phone may seem like an easy distraction, but it’s potentially exposing them to dangerous levels of radiation. Stick with tried-and-true non-electronic toys such as dolls, stuffed animals, and blocks.
- Get a low-EMF baby monitor. High-tech baby monitors have features such as video monitoring and WiFi connectivity. Unfortunately, these same features also mean these devices produce large amounts of RF-EMF radiation — which is problematic for something you place right by your infant’s crib.
Fortunately, there are lower-EMF options out there. While they don’t have all the bells and whistles of many modern monitors, they do provide an added sense of security with as little risk to your baby as possible. Check out our guide to Low EMF Baby Monitors to learn more.
- Fill your baby’s room with protective plants. Plants help purify the surrounding air, reducing indoor pollutants and toxins. While they haven’t been studied with regards to EMF, plants have been used to reduce ionizing radiation after nuclear disasters, suggesting that they may have anti-radioactive properties.
Placing plants on shelves around your nursery may help keep the air clean and safe for your little one. Sunflowers and succulents are both thought to be protective of EMF radiation. For other plants, visit the Top Indoor Plants for EMF Protection.
Keeping your little one safe is no doubt your top priority. Taking steps to reduce your home’s EMF levels and creating a healthy environment can go a long way towards mitigating your baby’s risk of experiencing EMF-related health issues later on.